Science teaching at Red Hill aims to give all children a strong understanding of the world around them whilst acquiring specific skills and knowledge to help them to think scientifically, gain an understanding of scientific processes and also an understanding of the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
Our science curriculum is designed to:
- Embed scientific enquiry skills in each area of science learning the children study and to revisit and develop them throughout their time at school.
- Revisit and build upon prior learning, making links between areas of learning in key stage one and developing them in key stage two. This allows children to build upon their prior knowledge and increase their enthusiasm for this area of learning whilst embedding this procedural knowledge into the long-term memory.
- Encourage children to develop and use a range of skills, to question the world around them and become independent learners in exploring possible answers for scientific-based questions.
- Teach scientific vocabulary and encourage use within learning.
- Develop effective questioning to communicate ideas.
- Reinforce concepts by focusing on the key features of scientific enquiry, so that pupils learn to use a variety of approaches to answer relevant scientific questions.
- Match all pupils’ needs, giving high standards of teaching and learning.
If you would like any further information about our science curriculum at Red Hill, please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Science subject lead – Miss Hannah Thomas